Article may be outdated

This article is 55 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Times of India·3 min read·medium

Venezuela jolted again: 5.6-magnitude earthquake strikes Aragua amid rescue efforts

T
TOI WORLD DESK
Venezuela jolted again: 5.6-magnitude earthquake strikes Aragua amid rescue efforts
AI Summary

A new 5.6-magnitude earthquake has struck the Aragua region of Venezuela, compounding the crisis caused by earlier twin quakes. Rescue operations continue despite challenges with equipment shortages and restricted access to affected areas.

Why it matters

Ongoing seismic activity complicates search and rescue efforts and increases the strain on the country's infrastructure and emergency response capabilities.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

Another earthquake measuring 5.6 magnitude struck Venezuela as the Latin American nation continued to reel from the devastating twin earthquakes earlier this week that have left more than 1,430 people dead and thousands injured.According to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC), the latest earthquake struck the Aragua region of Venezuela, Reuters reported. The fresh tremor comes as rescue teams continue searching for survivors amid widespread destruction caused by the earlier quakes.The latest earthquake follows the powerful 7.2- and 7.5-magnitude earthquakes that struck Venezuela on Wednesday, triggering hundreds of aftershocks, flattening buildings and forcing thousands of people from their homes.Venezuelan authorities said the death toll from the twin earthquakes has climbed to 1,430, while 3,200 people have been injured and around 3,100 residents have been left homeless.Officials also said hundreds of people remain missing or trapped beneath collapsed buildings, while the opposition has claimed that more than 54,000 people have been reported unaccounted for through an online missing persons database.The government said about 1,600 foreign rescue personnel have arrived to assist search and rescue efforts, with teams from several more countries expected to join the operation.Rescue work remains focused on La Guaira, one of the worst-hit coastal cities, where residents and volunteers have complained about shortages of heavy equipment and delays in reaching collapsed buildings.Authorities have also restricted access to affected areas to ensure emergency vehicles can move freely.According to the United Nations, nearly 7 million people could be affected by the disaster, while direct economic losses are estimated at around $6.7 billion.Power supply has gradually been restored in several affected areas, although outages continue near the earthquake epicentre and in parts of La Guaira. The Venezuelan government said around 60% of electricity has now been restored in impacted regions.Catch the latest world news and top headlines. Download the TOI App.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
worldenvironment
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 90%

The article provides a factual update on the seismic situation and the status of rescue operations.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in