Article may be outdated

This article is 55 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

standardmedia.co.ke·3 min read·medium

Uganda army chief shuts down NTV Uganda and the Daily Monitor

A
AFP
Uganda army chief shuts down NTV Uganda and the Daily Monitor
AI Summary

The Ugandan military has shut down the Nation Media Group's outlets, including NTV Uganda and the Daily Monitor, citing a lack of belief in a free press. The move, ordered by the president's son Muhoozi Kainerugaba, marks a significant escalation in state control over independent media.

Why it matters

This represents a severe crackdown on press freedom and democratic institutions in Uganda, signaling a consolidation of power by the ruling family.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

Uganda's leading independent media group said it was under "military siege" on Sunday after the army chief ordered the shutdown of its newspapers, TV station and radio outlets. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the head of Uganda's military and President Yoweri Museveni's son, has asserted growing control in recent months, ordering the arrests of politicians, activists and now a media shutdown. "NTV and Moniter (sic) are being shut down from today!" Kainerugaba wrote on X, referring to NTV Uganda and the Daily Monitor, both part of the Nation Media Group. "In Uganda, I DO NOT believe in a free press! The press should be guided by cadres of the revolution," he added. The Daily Monitor said on X that it was under "military siege", with armed soldiers on guard outside its offices in the capital Kampala. Its other outlets, including Dembe FM, Spark TV, KFM, and The East African, were also affected. "We've been shut down by the military at both NTV studios and offices...No one is allowed in or out. Those who worked last night were ordered to leave by the military," a senior NTV reporter told AFP on condition of anonymity. The stations went off air in the early hours of Sunday, with local media reporting that the broadcasts displayed the message: "Video unavailable." Kainerugaba confirmed on X that the orders had been approved by his father, who has ruled Uganda for 40 years. Museveni, 81, won another term in January but many see his son as positioning himself to take over. The Daily Monitor was launched in 1992 and became one of Uganda's most influential independent newspapers and has often been seen as an irritation by Museveni's government. The paper was shut down for 13 days in 2013 after reporting on an alleged plot to prepare Kainerugaba to take over from his father. The Africa programme of the Committee to Protect Journalists condemned Sunday's shutdown, calling the "use of state security forces to carry out publicly announced threats against independent media... a deeply troubling escalation." Kainerugaba has insisted the outlets "will not re-open without my permission." "From now on ALL media in Uganda will follow the rules!" he said on X. Stay informed. Subscribe to our newsletter

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsworld
Political Bias
Left
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 80%

The article focuses on the suppression of democratic rights and uses strong framing like 'military siege' to describe the government's actions.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in