Terengganu sees spike in malaria cases involving migrants

The Terengganu state health department has reported 13 imported malaria cases involving both documented and undocumented migrants. Officials confirmed that all patients have been treated and that no local transmission has occurred, though healthcare workers remain on high alert.
Why it matters
The report highlights the importance of public health surveillance and vector control in managing imported infectious diseases to prevent local outbreaks.
Share Thirteen cases have been reported, but the state health department says all are imported cases with the victims having been infected overseas. The Terengganu health department confirmed issuing an internal circular on June 3 ordering healthcare workers to be on the alert for malaria cases. (AFP pic) PETALING JAYA : The Terengganu health department has reported a surge in malaria cases involving undocumented and documented migrants. The department said this spike was first detected in early May and a total of 13 cases have been reported so far, comprising 11 undocumented migrants and two documented migrants.
The article reports factual information from a government health department without emotive language or political commentary.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in