KSBW·3 min read·medium

Teen lifeguard who saved boy at Seabright Beach meets President Trump at White House

R
Ricardo Tovar, Marissa Mizroch
Teen lifeguard who saved boy at Seabright Beach meets President Trump at White House
AI Summary

President Donald Trump hosted a 16-year-old lifeguard and the boy he rescued from drowning at the White House. During the meeting, Trump expressed support for a potential congressional push to classify open-water lifeguards as first responders.

President Donald Trump welcomed 16-year-old lifeguard Ryder Williams and 10-year-old Nathaniel Rai to the Oval Office to honor Ryder’s heroic rescue of Nathaniel, who nearly drowned in the Santa Cruz, California, surf last month. The rescue, which was caught on camera and went viral, showed Nathaniel clinging to Ryder as the lifeguard struggled to bring them both safely back to shore. “And he saved this young gentleman,” Trump said, referring to Nathaniel. “Who I had a long talk with. I said, when you have made it without him? And he said, not really. Right? Not really. It was trouble.” During the event, Trump was asked by Washington Correspondent Jackie DeFusco about a push in Congress to classify open-water lifeguards as first responders, which could expand their access to federal benefits and programs. “First time I've ever heard the question," Trump said. "But this is something that's been going on, I guess. Is that right? I'd like to put my weight behind it. So let's take a look at it. Very important." The visit comes just over three weeks after Williams rushed into dangerous surf at Seabright State Beach in Santa Cruz and saved 10-year-old Nathaniel Rai on July 25. Video of the rescue showed Williams holding onto Nathaniel as powerful waves repeatedly crashed over the two, at times completely obscuring them from view. Williams later said he saw the boy lose his footing in ankle-deep water. “I radioed it in, threw my radio and sunglasses at the base of my tower as I ran toward the kid,” Williams said in a statement released after the rescue. Williams said the rough conditions prevented him from getting a rescue tube around Nathaniel. The boy eventually became limp as Williams continued holding onto him through several waves. A second lifeguard, Aaron Bohnen, entered the water and helped Williams bring Nathaniel to shore. Nathaniel later told The Associated Press that he does not remember much of the rescue after the wave swept him off his feet. The 10-year-old said his next memory was of lifeguards helping him after he was brought back to shore. “I told him I was thankful he saved my life,” Nathaniel said. President Trump took notice of the rescue after video of it spread widely online. In a July 28 Truth Social post, Trump praised Williams and announced plans to invite him and his family to the White House. “We’re going to bring this heroic young man, and his family, into the White House with, perhaps, the boy he saved, to give him a High Civilian Honor,” Trump wrote. “Very brave, he deserves it!” Trump’s son, Eric Trump, had also praised Williams, calling the rescue “truly the best of America.” Despite the attention, Williams has repeatedly characterized what happened as simply part of his job. “I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to return the child to his family safely,” Williams said following the rescue. “This is my job and I love what I do. I’m thankful to my fellow lifeguards who perform rescues just like this every day.” California State Parks said its Santa Cruz District lifeguards performed 34 rescues during the weekend of Williams’ rescue, as large surf, warm weather, and heavy crowds created dangerous conditions at area beaches.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsculture

Get the full story

Sign up for Headlinne to unlock AI insights, political bias analysis, and your personalized news feed.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in