Syria says it arrested suspects behind the Damascus bombings during Macron’s visit
Syrian authorities have announced the arrest of a cell responsible for a series of recent bombings in Damascus, including attacks that occurred during French President Emmanuel Macron's visit. The explosions, which resulted in multiple casualties, pose a significant security challenge to the administration of President Ahmad al-Sharaa as it attempts to stabilize the country following the ousting of the Assad regime.
Why it matters
The security situation in Syria remains volatile as the new government seeks international legitimacy and investment, making the safety of high-profile diplomatic visits a critical test of its control.
Syrian authorities said on Thursday (July 9, 2026) they have arrested several suspects accused of a string of recent explosions in Damascus, including the bombings during French President Emmanuel Macron’s visit earlier this week.
The article reports on official government statements and casualty figures without adopting a partisan narrative or using loaded language, maintaining a standard journalistic tone.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in