Times of India·3 min read·medium

Surat restaurant shut after child dies, 3 hospitalised due to 'food poisoning'

T
TOI CITY DESK
Surat restaurant shut after child dies, 3 hospitalised due to 'food poisoning'
AI Summary

A restaurant in Surat has been shut down by health authorities following the death of a child and the hospitalization of three others due to suspected food poisoning. Inspections revealed poor hygiene and spoiled food items on the premises.

SURAT: A restaurant in Surat was shut by the health department after one child died and three others were hospitalised following suspected food poisoning.The Surat Municipal Corporation’s (SMC) health department inspected the restaurant early Tuesday following a complaint about food poisoning, news agency ANI reported.Food safety officer Sejal Vyas said the team found several food items in poor condition and ordered their destruction.“Upon learning of a young girl’s death, we have shut down the entire restaurant,” Vyas said.Spoiled food found during inspectionAccording to Vyas, the inspection found items including chana dal that had spoiled, while some vegetables were slightly degraded and had been left uncovered. Paneer was also found exposed.“All these items have been destroyed,” Vyas said.The health department learnt that the affected family had purchased vegetables and other items from the restaurant on August 15, following which they reportedly suffered from food poisoning.The exact cause of the illness and death is yet to be established, ANI reported.The health department is expected to take further action after its investigation.Action under Food Safety ActVyas said appropriate action would be taken against the restaurant owner under the Food Safety Act.She added that samples collected from the establishment during previous inspections had passed quality tests.The incident comes days after the SMC conducted a late-night food safety drive across Surat.During the operation, civic teams inspected 1,170 establishments and destroyed 376 kg of inedible food.Officials also issued penalties to 616 violators and served 135 notices for food safety, sanitation and solid waste management violations.The SMC has said surprise inspections will continue across the city to check the sale of unsafe food and ensure compliance with food safety and hygiene norms.(With agency inputs)You Can Also Check: Gold Rate in Surat | Silver Rate in Surat | Bank Holidays in Surat | Public Holidays in Surat | Surat AQI | Weather in Surat | Petrol Price in Surat | Diesel Price in Surat | CNG Price in Surat | LPG Price in SuratStay updated with the latest Surat news. Download the TOI App.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
healthfoodsocial justice

Get the full story

Sign up for Headlinne to unlock AI insights, political bias analysis, and your personalized news feed.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in