Article may be outdated

This article is 57 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Business Insider·4 min read·medium

Student-loan borrowers get new timeline for leaving a key repayment plan — and some will have 'even more time'

Student-loan borrowers get new timeline for leaving a key repayment plan — and some will have 'even more time'
AI Summary

The Trump administration has delayed the deadline for student-loan borrowers to transition off the SAVE repayment plan until at least September 29. The transition will occur in waves, providing most borrowers with more time than the initial July 1 deadline as the government navigates ongoing legal challenges.

Why it matters

This delay provides temporary relief to millions of borrowers facing potential payment increases and administrative uncertainty following the elimination of the Biden-era SAVE plan.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

President Donald Trump's administration confirms the earliest SAVE student-loan borrowers will have to find a new plan. Aaron Schwartz / AFP via Getty Images The Education Department said that SAVE borrowers won't have to find a new plan until September 29 at the earliest. It also said in a legal filing that most borrowers will have "more time than that" because the transition will occur in waves. It follows Trump's elimination of the SAVE student-loan repayment plan in March. The Trump administration confirmed the earliest date by which millions of student-loan borrowers will have to start switching repayment plans. In a legal filing on Thursday, the Department of Education said that borrowers will not be required to move off the SAVE plan until September 29 "at the earliest." Additionally, the department said that since it is transitioning borrowers off the plan in waves, most borrowers "will get even more time than that." Previously, the department said that starting July 1, borrowers would begin receiving notices of their 90-day timeline to transition to a new plan, and that if they did not take action, they would automatically be placed in the most expensive plan . This update is in response to a lawsuit filed in March that challenged the department's decision to eliminate the SAVE plan, a Biden-era plan that gave borrowers more affordable monthly payments and a shorter timeline to debt relief. Public Goods Practice, which represents the borrowers in the lawsuit, filed a motion on Tuesday calling for the court to pause that forced transition to a more expensive plan while a court decides the outcome of the rest of the case. The new legal filing comes just days before Trump's sweeping student-loan repayment overhaul takes effect on July 1, with new repayment plans and borrowing caps. Borrowers said they expect their monthly payments to increase under the new plans, and some have reported glitches with their accounts , including inaccurate payment projections. Have a story to share about student loans? Contact this reporter at asheffey@businessinsider.com , or fill out this form . Read the original article on Business Insider

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsbusinesseducation
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 85%

The article reports on administrative actions and legal filings without using loaded language, focusing on the timeline and the impact on borrowers.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in