Southampton Coach Apologises for Spygate Scandal

Southampton FC head coach Tonda Eckert has apologized for his role in a 'spygate' scandal that led to the club's exclusion from the Championship play-offs. Despite the controversy and a four-point deduction for next season, the club's owner has pledged to keep Eckert as manager.
Why it matters
The incident highlights ethical governance issues in professional sports and the tension between competitive integrity and managerial loyalty.
Southampton head coach Tonda Eckert issued an apology on Tuesday for orchestrating the spygate scandal, admitting he is responsible for everything that has happened . Saints were thrown out of the Championship play-offs last month after admitting sending a young intern to spy on a Middlesbrough training session. The English Football League said the south-coast club were found guilty of a deplorable act of putting pressure on the junior member of staff to spy on Boro. In a damning verdict, the governing body said Southampton boss Eckert authorised the spying. The German, 33, has now put out a lengthy video statement on club media, which began: I will try to be as honest and clear as I can be. For everything that has happened, I do want to apologise and I hold my hand up because as head coach I am responsible. I am responsible for everything that has happened at this football club. Southampton owner Dragan Solak said he was standing by Eckert. The Serbian media mogul admitted Eckert had made a mistake , but was adamant it should not cost a super-talented manager his job. Solak told the BBC: I have to believe, honestly, and I believe Tonda, that he didn t know it was the rule that he was breaking. Related News UK police under fire over handcuffing of dying student Liverpool legend Dalglish announces cancer diagnosis EPL: Chelsea reject multiple bids for defender Acheampong He added: My personal opinion, and the opinion of the board, is that he is a manager who deserves to be backed by us and to be supported by us. I think he deserves a second chance and I would give it to him. My first support would be behind him, actually, because I think he is a super-talented manager. Southampton will also be docked four points next season after admitting to multiple breaches of regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs training sessions. Eckert is not yet totally out of the woods as the Football Association (FA) has launched a probe into the affair and could still charge him meaning he may face a ban if found guilty. Solak, though, believes that Eckert has been subjected to a witch-hunt and the club has been over-sentenced . My support comes from a very simple legal situation where there is no double jeopardy, said Solak. Whatever crime you did, you can be sentenced only once. Middlesbrough, who lost to Southampton in the play-off semi-finals, were reinstated for the final at Wembley on May 23 but were defeated by Hull, who will join Coventry and Ipswich in the Premier League next year. AFP Kindly share this story:
The report relies on direct quotes and factual accounts of the disciplinary actions taken by the football league.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in