Article may be outdated

This article is 36 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Times of India·3 min read·medium

'Rohit Sharma will continue to represent India; Lord's ODI won't be his last': BCCI

T
TOI SPORTS DESK
'Rohit Sharma will continue to represent India; Lord's ODI won't be his last': BCCI
AI Summary

The BCCI has officially dismissed rumors regarding the retirement of Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma. The board confirmed that Sharma remains a key part of the ODI team's future plans.

Why it matters

It clarifies the status of a high-profile athlete and addresses internal management tensions within the Indian cricket administration.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

NEW DELHI: The final ODI against England at Lord's on Sunday will not be Rohit Sharma's last match for India. BCCI secretary Devajit Saikia dismissed all retirement rumours and confirmed that the senior batter remains an important part of India's ODI plans.There had been speculation that the 39-year-old had been told by the selectors that they wanted to move on and give Yashasvi Jaiswal an extended run in the team. However, Saikia made it clear that there has been no such discussion."There are lot of speculations going on in media about Rohit Sharma's future. I want to firmly assert that there has been no such discussion that Rohit will be playing his last match at Lord's on Sunday," Saikia told PTI.Saikia also confirmed that Rohit remains in India's plans."Rohit is a regular member of the Indian ODI team and he will continue to represent the country as long as he is in the scheme of things. In other words, Lord's ODI won't be his last match," the BCCI secretary confirmed.It is understood that the BCCI leadership was not pleased with the way chairman of selectors Ajit Agarkar and head coach Gautam Gambhir handled the matter. Saikia reportedly issued the official clarification after discussions involving all the stakeholders.An influential former BCCI official, along with Saikia, is also understood to have played a role in resolving the issue.According to reports, Rohit was unhappy that he was informed about the decision before an important match and had expressed his disappointment over the way a senior player was being treated.Saikia reiterated that Rohit will continue to play for India as long as "he is in the scheme of things".Rohit is currently 13 matches away from joining the exclusive club of players with 300 ODI appearances.Get the latest Sports News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
sportsbusiness
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 90%

The article reports on official statements and internal administrative clarifications without taking a stance on the player's performance.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in