Article may be outdated

This article is 55 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Times of India·3 min read·medium

Ram Temple donation theft row: Homes of 8 accused raided ahead of custody hearing

T
TOI NEWS DESK
Ram Temple donation theft row: Homes of 8 accused raided ahead of custody hearing
AI Summary

Ayodhya police have raided the homes of eight individuals arrested for allegedly embezzling donations at the Ram Temple. The investigation follows the recovery of nearly 80 lakh rupees and the resignation of two senior temple trust officials.

Why it matters

The case involves high-profile religious infrastructure and potential corruption, impacting public trust in the management of significant national religious sites.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

NEW DELHI: Ayodhya Police on Sunday carried out simultaneous raids at the residences of all eight people arrested in connection with the alleged embezzlement of donations at the Ram Temple, as the investigation into the high-profile case intensified.Police teams, accompanied by local magistrates, searched the homes of the accused, including Lav Kush Mishra, Avinash Shukla and Ramashankar Yadav, according to police sources cited by news agency PTI.The searches come two days after an Ayodhya court remanded all eight accused to judicial custody till June 29.Police are expected to seek their custodial remand when they are produced before the court on Monday.Rs 79.85 lakh recovered so farThe eight accused, Avinash Shukla, Anukalp Mishra, Lav Kush Mishra, Manish Kumar Yadav, Karunesh Pandey, Ram Shankar Mishra, Subhash Srivastava and Ramashankar alias Tinnu Yadav, were associated with counting cash and valuables received as donations at the Ram Temple.According to the prosecution, investigators have recovered Rs 79.85 lakh so far.The case has been registered under provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita relating to theft by servant, criminal breach of trust, receiving stolen property and criminal conspiracy, along with sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act.The FIR was registered following the recommendation of a preliminary report submitted by a three-member Special Investigation Team (SIT), which was constituted by the Uttar Pradesh government after allegations of misappropriation of temple donations surfaced earlier this month.Trust received resignations of Champat Rai, Anil MishraThe raids come amid a wider controversy surrounding the alleged embezzlement at the Ram Temple.The Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust on Saturday said it had received the resignations of its general secretary Champat Rai and trustee Anil Mishra.The trust said it would consider the resignations at its next meeting and reiterated its commitment to ensuring a fair investigation and restoring devotees' confidence.In its statement, the trust also assured devotees that silver bricks, jewellery and other offerings personally handed over to temple officials were "safe and fully accounted for."The trust said the FIR in the case was lodged on the basis of the interim report submitted by the SIT constituted by the Uttar Pradesh government at the trust's request, and that legal proceedings are under way.Get the latest India news and live updates. Download the TOI App.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsbusiness
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 80%

The report focuses on factual police actions and legal proceedings without emotive language or political commentary.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in