Person tipped from bin into rubbish truck in Bristol

A man was rescued after being accidentally tipped into a refuse collection truck in Bristol, UK. Bristol Waste has launched an investigation into the incident and is urging the public not to seek shelter in bins.
Why it matters
The incident highlights significant public safety risks associated with waste management and the dangers of homelessness-related bin usage.
An investigation is underway after a man was nearly killed when he was dropped into a refuse collection lorry with the machinery going inside. The incident happened in the St Pauls area of Bristol on Monday morning and bosses at Bristol Waste said only the quick-thinking of the crew operating the bin lorry prevented a tragedy. Bristol Waste said they had ‘launched a full investigation to understand how this occurred’, but said the incident should provide a warning for people not to seek shelter in bins and they would be reaching out to relevant organisations in Bristol to help get this message out. The incident occurred on Monday morning, June 29. “During the collection process, our crew became aware of a person who had been inside a waste container, and immediately stopped the machinery inside the truck,” a spokesperson for Bristol Waste confirmed. “Emergency services were contacted, and the individual was safely assisted from the vehicle. “The individual did not appear to have sustained any obvious injuries at the scene and declined medical assessment from the ambulance service,” they added. Bristol Waste said it was ‘treating this incident with the utmost seriousness and have launched a full investigation to understand how this occurred. “Bristol Waste’s priority remains the safety of the public and its crews, and Bristol Waste will take any necessary action following the outcome of the investigation,” the spokesperson added. Bristol Waste’s director of operations, Ricky Gayfer, said the incident could have ended in tragedy. ““Health and safety is of utmost importance to Bristol Waste and all our people,” he said. “The crews followed their training and procedures and acted quickly – it is thanks to them that this did not end in tragedy. “It is imperative that people do not seek shelter in bins, and we will be reaching out to relevant organisations in the city to help get this message out,” he added.
The report focuses on factual events and safety warnings without bias.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in