Pacquiao Rematch Postponed Indefinitely

The highly anticipated boxing rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has been postponed indefinitely due to legal and financial disputes. The Pacquiao camp cited federal lawsuits and contract issues as the primary reasons for the delay.
Why it matters
High-profile exhibition matches are major revenue drivers in the sports industry, and their cancellation reflects the complex legal and financial risks involved in modern combat sports.
A highly anticipated rematch between boxing legends Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has been postponed indefinitely, Pacquiao’s camp in the Philippines said on Friday. The news followed ESPN reporting that a planned Mayweather exhibition in Greece had been called off after an events company connected to the Pacquiao bout had sought an injunction. The two Hall of Famers, whose 2015 bout drove 4.6 million pay-per-view buys, have been at loggerheads since Mayweather stunned the boxing world by declaring a rematch announced by Netflix for September would only be an exhibition — something bitterly contested by Pacquiao. On Friday, the Pacquiao camp released a statement blaming the postponement on “a volatile mix of federal lawsuits, scheduling overbooks, and financial gridlock completely surrounding the Mayweather camp”. Events company CSI sued Mayweather last week, seeking to recover at least $4.65 million, the company says it paid the fighter for exclusive rights to promote the Pacquiao rematch and an exhibition bout with former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson that failed to materialise. Friday’s statement said the earliest a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight could now take place would be early 2027. Related News 2026 World Cup: Confirmed Round of 32 fixtures, dates, venues World Cup: Dembele scores hat-trick as France beat Norway, Senegal stay alive Usyk to vacate heavyweight world title belts “Should Mayweather and CSI settle their internal contract disputes out of court, promoters will immediately pivot to rescheduling a postponed exhibition between Mayweather and Mike Tyson, tentatively targeting September 12,” the Pacquiao team statement said. Mayweather, 49, retired from boxing in 2017 with a perfect 50-0 record. He was to have fought an exhibition against Greek kickboxing star Mike Zambidis on Saturday in a pay-per-view event to be held at the Telekon Centre at the OAKA Olympic Complex in Athens. The now-shelved Pacquiao bout would have rematched the fighters in the top money-spinner in boxing history. AFP Kindly share this story:
The report relies on statements from the involved parties and factual reporting on legal filings.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in