Article may be outdated

This article is 55 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Times of India·3 min read·medium

Middle East tensions flare up: US strikes Iran after second ceasefire violation

T
TOI WORLD DESK
Middle East tensions flare up: US strikes Iran after second ceasefire violation
AI Summary

The United States military conducted strikes against Iranian targets following a second consecutive ceasefire violation involving attacks on commercial oil tankers near the Strait of Hormuz. CENTCOM confirmed the operation targeted Iranian surveillance, communication, and drone infrastructure.

Why it matters

The escalation of military conflict in the Strait of Hormuz poses a significant risk to global oil supply chains and regional stability.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

The United States on Saturday carried out another round of military strikes against Iran after accusing Tehran of violating the ceasefire for a second consecutive day by attacking a commercial oil tanker transiting near the Strait of Hormuz.The latest strikes came just a day after US forces hit Iranian military targets in retaliation for a drone attack on the cargo vessel M/V Ever Lovely. Washington said Iran was given an opportunity to honour the ceasefire agreement but instead launched another drone attack on Saturday morning.Confirming the operation, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces carried out the strikes on the orders of President Donald Trump."US Central Command (CENTCOM) forces conducted additional strikes against multiple targets in Iran, June 27, at the Commander in Chief's direction."CENTCOM said Iran's latest attack targeted M/T Kiku, a Panama-flagged oil tanker carrying more than two million barrels of crude oil. According to the US military, the vessel was transiting near the Strait of Hormuz when it was hit by a one-way attack drone at around 4.30 am ET."After yesterday's US strikes in response to the Iranian attack on M/V Ever Lovely, Iran was given a chance to honor the ceasefire agreement but elected not to when its forces launched a one-way attack drone that hit M/T Kiku this morning at 4:30 a.m. ET."The US said Saturday's operation directly targeted Iranian military assets linked to maritime attacks and regional surveillance."CENTCOM forces launched strikes today in direct response to continued Iranian aggression against commercial shipping. U.S. military aircraft targeted Iranian military surveillance infrastructure, communication systems, air defense sites, drone storage facilities, and minelayer capabilities."The military added that commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz continued despite the attacks and said American forces remained prepared to protect maritime traffic."Commercial vessel transits through the Strait of Hormuz continue. U.S. forces remain vigilant, lethal, and ready."Second retaliation in two daysThe latest exchange marks the second consecutive day of US military retaliation against Iran despite an interim ceasefire aimed at ending months of conflict.On Friday, US forces struck Iranian missile and drone facilities after Tehran allegedly attacked the Singapore-flagged cargo ship M/V Ever Lovely while it was transiting through the Strait of Hormuz. President Donald Trump had accused Iran of committing a "foolish violation" of the ceasefire agreement.Speaking at the White House before Saturday's strikes, Trump warned that Iran would face consequences for breaching the truce."You will find out. I don't like the fact that they took a shot yesterday... A very expensive ship took a little beating. They shouldn't be doing that."Shipping tensions continueAccording to ship-tracking data, M/T Kiku had departed from a Qatari oil field earlier this week and was heading towards a port in the United Arab Emirates after using a shipping route established near Oman's coastline instead of the corridor approved by Iran.A multinational maritime body overseen by the US Navy later announced that the Omani route would be expanded to allow both inbound and outbound commercial traffic, a move that could further increase tensions with Tehran, which insists vessels must follow routes authorised by Iran.The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world's most important energy corridors, carrying a significant share of global crude oil and liquefied natural gas exports.Ceasefire under strainThe latest strikes come even as Washington and Tehran continue negotiations under a 60-day memorandum of understanding aimed at reaching a broader agreement covering maritime security, freedom of navigation and Iran's nuclear programme.US Vice President JD Vance had earlier urged Iran to resolve disagreements through dialogue, warning that any further violence would invite a military response.Iranian state television reported explosions in areas north of the Strait of Hormuz, while officials have continued to insist that navigation through the strategic waterway remains subject to Iranian rules.The renewed exchange has raised concerns that the fragile ceasefire could unravel despite ongoing diplomatic efforts to secure a permanent agreement.'Prepare for a long, endless night': Iran warns US after fresh strikesA spokesperson for Iran's Khatam al-Anbia Central Headquarters, Ibrahim alFiqar, warned in a series of posts on X that Tehran's response would be "practical" and accused Washington of crossing "all lines"."You targeted sovereignty, so expect a practical response that will change the equations. You miscalculated, and our patience has run out... so prepare for a long, endless night. You have crossed all lines, and our decision is not just talk; the coming hours will speak for our strength," he wrote.The latest escalation also drew a strong reaction from Bahrain.Bahrain's Foreign Ministry accused Iran of launching several drones into its territory early on Saturday, calling the attack a "flagrant violation" of the country's sovereignty and warning that it threatened ongoing efforts to preserve regional peace and stability.Catch the latest world news and top headlines. Download the TOI App.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsworld
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 80%

The report relies on official statements from CENTCOM and provides a factual account of the military actions taken by the US.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in