Article may be outdated

This article is 54 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

The Jerusalem Post·3 min read·medium

Lebanon's Parliament Speaker, Hezbollah ally, slams US-brokered deal with Israel

R
REUTERS
Lebanon's Parliament Speaker, Hezbollah ally, slams US-brokered deal with Israel
AI Summary

Lebanon's Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has rejected a US-brokered agreement between Lebanon and Israel, labeling it as a set of dictates that could divide the country. The deal aims to facilitate the disarmament of Hezbollah and the gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon, but faces significant political opposition.

Why it matters

The rejection highlights the ongoing volatility in the Middle East and the difficulty of achieving a lasting ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah amidst broader US-Iran geopolitical tensions.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

Lebanon's Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, a key ally of Hezbollah, on Monday slammed a US-brokered agreement between Lebanon and Israel, warning it could lead to attempts to divide Lebanese and said it would not be implemented.Israeli officials suggested the agreement would move forward in the coming days, but there were no immediate reports of any aspects of the deal being implemented on the ground.In comments to Lebanon's al-Akhbar newspaper, Berri described Iran-US negotiations as the only realistic opportunity to secure Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon and that any attempt to separate Lebanon from the US-Iran track would prolong Israeli occupation.Israel has occupied a swathe of southern Lebanon in a war with Hezbollah that began on March 2, when the group opened fire at Israel in solidarity with Tehran after it came under US-Israeli attack.The Lebanon war has been a central part of diplomacy towards ending the wider US-Iran conflict. Tehran has insisted on a Lebanon ceasefire as part of its interim deal with Washington, while the United States has sponsored separate talks between the Lebanese and Israeli governments, which Beirut has attended despite Hezbollah's objections.Israel has praised the agreement, signed by the Lebanese and Israeli ambassadors to Washington on Friday, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying it allows Israeli forces to continue to occupy southern Lebanon if Hezbollah does not disarm.Hezbollah, which has demanded Beirut quit its face-to-face talks with the Israeli government, has rejected the deal as a surrender to Israel.Berri dimisses Lebanon-Israel agreement as 'Dictates' The agreement foresees the Lebanese military taking control of territory pending the verified disarmament of non-state groups, a reference to Hezbollah, saying this would enable the Israeli military "to progressively redeploy out of" Lebanon. It foresees the Lebanese army gradually assuming responsibility in "pilot zones."A senior Israeli official said the pilot zone process under which troops would withdraw would begin "immediately," without elaborating. A second Israeli official said the "redeployment" from the pilot zones might begin in the coming days.The zones, according to maps published by the Israeli government, include the Lebanese villages of Froun, Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh and Ghandouriyeh.Two Israeli officials said separately that these areas had been taken by Israeli forces recently, without specifying exactly when, to use as leverage in negotiations.A satellite image of Froun, taken on June 24 by Airbus, showed destruction to large parts of the village.Berri, head of the Shi'ite Muslim Amal Movement, described the agreement as "dictates." Al-Akhbar quoted Berri as saying the most dangerous aspect of the agreement was not only its political content, but "the potential for it to incite internal divisions and draw the Lebanese into a confrontation among themselves."The agreement "won't be implemented," al-Akhbar cited him as saying.The Lebanese administration, headed by the Maronite Christian President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, a Sunni, called for face-to-face talks with Israel early in the war despite strong objections from Shi'ite Hezbollah, reflecting deep divisions over its decision to join the conflict in support of Iran.The Beirut government has been pursuing a policy aimed at securing Hezbollah's disarmament since last year, after the group was badly weakened during a previous war with Israel in 2024.Lebanese president presses Trump for Israel to withdraw from southern LebanonAoun, in a phone call with US President Donald Trump on Saturday, said he hoped Washington would press Israel to withdraw from southern Lebanon.Israeli forces seized a self-declared security zone stretching into southern Lebanon during the war, citing the need to shield northern Israel from Hezbollah attacks.The Israeli military said it destroyed a 200-meter (656-ft)-long Hezbollah tunnel in the south overnight. It also said it had struck three Hezbollah command centers in southern Lebanon on Sunday in response to violations of a ceasefire by Hezbollah.Hezbollah, in a statement on Monday, said it has adhered to the ceasefire "until now," and that it reserved the right "to defend its homeland and its people."

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsworld
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 80%

The article presents the perspectives of both the Lebanese Parliament Speaker and Israeli officials, maintaining a neutral reporting style on a complex conflict.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in