Iran says UN watchdog will not be allowed to inspect bombed nuclear sites

Iran has officially refused to allow UN nuclear inspectors access to facilities damaged during last year's conflict with the U.S. and Israel. The government maintains that no protocol exists for such inspections despite previous agreements regarding other nuclear sites.
Why it matters
This refusal complicates international efforts to monitor Iran's nuclear program and increases geopolitical tensions in the Middle East.
Iran said on Tuesday (June 23, 2026) that inspectors from the United Nations nuclear watchdog would not be given access to its nuclear sites that were bombed during the war with Israel and the United States last year.
The report balances Iranian government statements with U.S. claims and historical context without taking a side.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in