Article may be outdated

This article is 56 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

NBC News·4 min read·hard

Hezbollah rejects U.S.-brokered Israel-Lebanon security deal as ‘surrender’

R
Reuters
Hezbollah rejects U.S.-brokered Israel-Lebanon security deal as ‘surrender’
AI Summary

Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem has rejected a U.S.-brokered security deal between Lebanon and Israel, labeling it a surrender. Despite the agreement, hostilities continue, including a recent Israeli drone strike in southern Lebanon.

Why it matters

The rejection of this security framework threatens the stability of the region and indicates that the broader conflict involving Iran and its proxies remains unresolved.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem rejected a U.S.-brokered security agreement between Lebanon and Israel on Saturday a day after it was signed, describing it as a surrender to Israel. In the ⁠latest example of ongoing hostilities despite repeated ceasefires and agreements, Israel launched a drone strike in Lebanon’s south. More than a million Lebanese have been driven from their homes by a conflict that has run in parallel with the wider Iran war. ⁠Hezbollah and Iran say Washington ​pledged ⁠to end hostilities in Lebanon as part of its memorandum of understanding signed two weeks ago to end the wider war. The framework ⁠agreed on Friday provides for a phased Israeli withdrawal from some ​parts ⁠of southern Lebanon, alongside the deployment ‌of the Lebanese army. But Israeli forces would be permitted to remain in an expanded security zone for the time being, pending further implementation. In ‌a statement, Qassem called it “null and void”, ‌and accused the Lebanese government of making unilateral concessions and undermining Lebanon’s sovereignty. He criticised provisions linking Israel’s withdrawal to Hezbollah’s disarmament, saying they effectively legitimised Israel’s military presence and crossed “all red ⁠lines”. The group would continue its armed resistance, he added: “We did not leave the battlefield in the most difficult circumstances, and we will not leave it.” Lebanon’s state news agency said an Israeli drone struck Nabatieh al-Fawqa on Saturday. The area is outside the security zone shown on a map published by Israel of the territory its troops will continue to control. The ‌Israeli military told Reuters it had carried out the strike, using ​a drone because it had no troops in the ‌immediate area. It said it targeted ⁠an individual who posed a threat to its forces, without giving ⁠further details or evidence. Qassem said the Iran-U.S. memorandum of understanding reached earlier this month, ‌which guarantees Lebanon’s territorial integrity, ​should serve as the basis ‌for ending the conflict, rather than Friday’s ​Washington agreement.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicsworld
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 85%

The article presents the perspectives of both Hezbollah and the Israeli military, maintaining a balanced reporting style on a volatile geopolitical issue.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in