Government assures Kenyans of El Nino preparedness
Kenyan Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has announced that the government is fully prepared for the upcoming El Niño rains. The government has mobilized various agencies to prevent flooding and minimize disruptions to public services.
Why it matters
Effective disaster management is critical for Kenya to prevent loss of life and property during extreme weather events, which have historically caused significant damage.
Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has assured Kenyans that the government is fully prepared to respond to the anticipated El Ni o rains expected between October and December, saying comprehensive measures are already underway to minimise disruption and safeguard lives. Speaking after chairing the inaugural meeting of the Ad Hoc Cabinet Committee on El Ni o Preparedness and Response at his Karen Official Residence on Thursday, Kindiki urged the public not to panic, noting that all relevant ministries, departments, agencies and State organs had been mobilised following weather forecasts indicating a high probability of above-normal rainfall later this year. "We assure the country that there is no need to panic. We are engaging all the ministries, departments, agencies and all State organs to ensure that in the event of the rains, the country is prepared and we are not caught by surprise," he said. The committee was constituted following a Cabinet meeting chaired by President William Ruto last Tuesday, where the Deputy President was tasked with overseeing national preparedness and coordinating the government's response. At the same time, Kindiki said authorities would prioritise measures to prevent flooding, landslides and mudslides, while ensuring uninterrupted movement of people, goods and services and protecting public health. "We will take action to ensure there is no disruption of civic order, movement of goods and services or public health. Preventive interventions will also be undertaken in areas prone to floods, landslides and mudslides to prevent loss of life and property," he said. The Deputy President said this year's response would be more effective under the newly enacted National Disaster Risk Management Act, 2026, which came into force last month. The legislation provides a legal framework for early planning, faster decision-making and closer coordination between national and county governments during disasters. He challenged county governments to activate their own preparedness mechanisms, saying collaboration between the two levels of government would be critical in mitigating the impact of the expected rains. "In the spirit of a coordinated approach, we are partnering with county governments at this early stage to ensure seamless preparedness for any eventuality, as required by the new law," he said. Among the priority interventions is the unclogging of drainage systems, particularly in Nairobi, to reduce the risk of destructive urban flooding. Kindiki said the Ministry of Infrastructure had already commenced targeted works to strengthen the capital's drainage network ahead of the rainy season. He also sought to reassure the public over concerns of a possible Ebola outbreak, saying Kenya remains on high alert despite having recorded no confirmed cases. Support Independent Journalism Stand With Bold Journalism. Stand With The Standard . Journalism can't be free because the truth demands investment. At The Standard, we invest time, courage and skills to bring you accurate, factual and impactful stories. Subscribe today and stand with us in the pursuit of credible journalism.
The article focuses on government preparedness efforts and official statements regarding disaster management.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in