Article may be outdated

This article is 52 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Fox News·2 min read·medium

FBI official pushes back on claims that Nancy Guthrie kidnapping ransom demands are fake: report - Fox News

M
Michael Ruiz, Matt Finn
FBI official pushes back on claims that Nancy Guthrie kidnapping ransom demands are fake: report - Fox News
AI Summary

The FBI and Pima County Sheriff's Department are continuing to investigate the kidnapping of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie. Officials are currently evaluating the legitimacy of various ransom notes received during the ongoing case.

Why it matters

The case highlights the complexities of high-profile kidnapping investigations and the challenges law enforcement faces when dealing with potentially fraudulent ransom demands.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

FBI Phoenix said that apparent ransom demands and other notes sent in the wake of the unsolved abduction of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie may still be real, despite recent claims to the contrary. "The FBI and its task force partners have received several ransom notes over the course of this investigation," the FBI's Phoenix office said in a statement on Wednesday. "Some have been deemed to be extortion attempts without legitimacy. Other ransom demands may potentially be legitimate and are still being investigated as such. This case continues to be investigated as a kidnapping for ransom case. The FBI has and will continue to offer all assistance possible in the investigation — however local authorities remain the lead." Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos then issued a statement on Wednesday: "Throughout this investigation, the Pima County Sheriff's Department has received information regarding potential ransom notes related to the kidnapping of Nancy Guthrie. Every tip and lead is taken seriously and is forwarded directly to our detectives, who continue to work in coordination with the FBI. "Any questions regarding alleged ransom notes should be directed to the FBI. We appreciate the public's continued cooperation and the information provided throughout this investigation. Anyone with information that may assist investigators is encouraged to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or submit an anonymous tip to 88-CRIME." EMAILER IN NANCY GUTHRIE CASE CLAIMS TO POSSESS VIDEO OF 'MAIN GUY' WITH SAVANNAH GUTHRIE'S MOTHER As Fox News Digital reported previously, sources close to the investigation appear split regarding the notes' potential authenticity — or lack thereof. Earlier Wednesday, an unnamed official told ransom demand recipient TMZ that some investigators view the demands as potentially "more legitimate than not." "It is more likely than not that the two ransom notes are real," TMZ's executive producer Harvey Levin said Wednesday, citing an unnamed FBI official with knowledge of the case. "Further in that conversation, this person said, 'They are more legitimate than not.' That's a quote." FOX TRUE CRIME IS NOW ON FACEBOOK He made the remarks in a video in response to a new report suggesting that the FBI deemed all the ransom demands in the Guthrie investigation inauthentic. Some investigators said they were confident that the ransom demands are all bogus, while others are cautious about reaching that conclusion while Guthrie's whereabouts remain unknown, federal law enforcement sources told Fox News and Fox News Digital last week. NANCY GUTHRIE RANSOM NOTES DON'T MATCH SUSPECT'S BEHAVIOR, PROFILER SAYS: 'I DON'T BELIEVE THEY'RE REAL' "They definitely have not determined it is, for sure, fake," Levin said. SIGN UP TO GET TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER Authorities have not publicly confirmed the legitimacy of the first two notes that have been deemed possibly authentic — or a series of separate emails believed to be unrelated claiming to have knowledge about what happened to Guthrie. "It is less likely that those letters are real, but they have not discounted that either," Levin added. SAVANNAH GUTHRIE PLEADS FOR TIPS AS RANSOM NOTE CLAIMS MOM IS DEAD: 'SOMEBODY KNOWS SOMETHING' Guthrie's daughter, "Today" co-host Savannah Guthrie, has said she believes at least two of the notes could be real. She and her siblings responded to those in videos posted to her Instagram in February. Meanwhile, state and local authorities have both declined to discuss the latest developments regarding the ransom demands publicly. When asked about the new reporting at a news briefing Wednesday, FBI Director Kash Patel declined to comment. SEND US A TIP HERE "I'm not going to comment on that," he told reporters during a Justice Department news briefing. "We are continuing to assist that investigation. We've always been in an assist role. It's a state matter being led by the state authorities." LISTEN TO THE NEW 'CRIME & JUSTICE WITH DONNA ROTUNNO' PODCAST Nanos, whose agency is leading the investigation into Guthrie's suspected abduction, told Fox News Digital last week that it was the FBI at the forefront of the probe into whoever sent the ransom demands. LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING? FIND MORE ON THE TRUE CRIME HUB "All ransom notes are being handled by the FBI," he said. "We’ve been pretty consistent with that. So I would have to defer you to them." CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP The family is asking anyone with information on Guthrie's case to dial 1-800-CALL-FBI. Tips can be provided anonymously to Tucson's Crime Stoppers affiliate, 88-Crime, at 1-520-882-7463.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
politicssocial justice
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 80%

The article reports on official statements from law enforcement agencies without injecting editorial opinion.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in