Ex-Rolls-Royce engineer given cancer all-clear 24 hours before A38 horror smash

A former Rolls-Royce engineer was severely injured in a car crash caused by a distracted driver who was using his phone while speeding. The victim, who had just received a cancer all-clear, later passed away after his cancer returned, leaving his family devastated by the incident.
Why it matters
This case serves as a stark reminder of the lethal consequences of distracted driving and the profound impact of reckless behavior on innocent lives.
A former Rolls-Royce senior engineer and charity founder had to be air-lifted to hospital just 24 hours after being given the all-clear from cancer when his near-stationary car was struck by a van driver topping 80mph. Derby Crown Court heard how moments earlier Aaron Roberts had sent a photo and messages to a WhatsApp group chat called “Lads, lads, lads” before he careered into the back of Roger Bowler’s Nissan Micra. The force of the collision caused the 38-year-old father-of-two’s Ford Transit to hit other vehicles and the central reservation. His victim, 73-year-old Mr Bowler, from Derby, described by his daughter Lindsey as “fully independent with a sharp mind” suffered multiple injuries including numerous broken ribs. She told the hearing how tragically her father's cancer later returned and he died in March of this year, seven months after the collision. And in a heartbreaking victim impact statement, which she bravely read to the court herself, she said: “I lost him in March but I feel like I lost him in the crash, it absolutely destroyed me.” Jailing Roberts, who cried in the dock, for two years, Judge Shaun Smith KC said: “You were driving in the most appalling manner. “You were doing 82mph at the point you thumped into the back of Mr Bowler’s car and you had been driving at 89mph until five seconds before the crash. “Shortly prior to that you had been on your phone sending not just a photo but also text. “Nobody had a chance. “It was not known that his condition (his cancer) would return but in the time period of him being told it was going and it returning his daughter described him as being ‘a shadow of the person he was’. “At the point of collision you were travelling in a straight line and what does that tell me? “It tells me you did not see a single thing because you were not concentrating as you had been looking at your phone. “As I say, it was an appalling piece of driving.” Declan Austin, prosecuting, said the collision took place on the afternoon of July 1, last year, on the A38 just north of Derby. He said Roberts had been working in Etwall and was driving home and evidence gathered showed he’d been travelling at 51mph in a 40mph limit and joined the 60mph limit dual carriageway at 76mph. The prosecutor said: "Evidence showed he had been on his phone between Etwall and the collision and was sent a photo to a WhatsApp group called ‘Lads, lads, lads’ of a digital thermometer. “He then took and sent a photograph of the temperature inside his van. “Mr Bowler later said he pulled into the right-hand lane approaching a junction and that’s all he remembers until he woke up and found people looking at him in his car.” Mr Austin said witnesses told the police how the Roberts’ Ford Transit careered into the back of Mr Bowler’s before hitting other cars and then the central reservation. He said one told how they heard “the screech of brakes”. Mr Bowler, a father and grandfather who founded and was chairman of the Derby Sight Loss Leisure Group charity, was airlifted to hospital with multiple injuries. His daughter read her own victim impact statement to the court in which she told how her father worked as a chief combustion engineer for Rolls-Royce for 44 years. She said: “What I really want to stress is that before the accident my dad was fully independent with no physical limitations and his mind remained sharp. “My dad always told me to look at life with the glass half full. "Only 24 hours after being told he was cancer-free, I got a call from the police to say he was being airlifted to the hospital following a car accident. “I can’t explain the shock I felt going from elation to complete devastation.” Roberts, of Nesbitt Street, Sutton-in-Ashfield, pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He has no previous convictions but just months before the collision was handed three and six points for two different speeding offences. Lesley Pidcock, mitigating, urged the judge to suspend the inevitable prison term. She said: “He was driving too fast and he knew that was dangerous but he stopped at the scene and sat down with one witness telling them ‘I tried to stop but I was too late’.” As well as the jail term, the judge disqualified Roberts from driving for two years and 10 months.
The article reports on court proceedings and facts of a criminal case without bias.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in