Did Iran force people to attend Khamenei's funeral in large numbers? What report claims
Reports suggest that Iranian authorities pressured businesses and workers to participate in funeral ceremonies for the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Allegations include threats to seal shops that remained open and mandatory attendance directives.
Why it matters
The report sheds light on the methods used by the Iranian state to manufacture public displays of support and control economic activity during mourning periods.
As Iran began funeral ceremonies for late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, authorities and state-linked institutions are allegedly pressuring workers and businesses to take part, Iran International reported, citing several letters it received.According to the report, the accounts describe a broad campaign of workplace directives, business closures and logistical mobilisation in the days before Khamenei's funeral and burial."We received a text message from the real estate union saying we are not allowed to open our office during the funeral days and must attend the ceremonies," the report quoted from a letter sent by a Tehran resident.Another message from Tehran said members of the Basij visited shops and warned owners that businesses opening during the mourning period would be sealed."My parents are shopkeepers. Basij members told our shop and others nearby that if we open during the funeral days, the shop will be sealed," the resident told Iran Inetrnational.A gym owner in Tehran reportedly said officials had ordered fitness centres to remain closed from Saturday through Wednesday. Another message claimed Tehran's Grand Bazaar had been ordered to shut until Thursday, adding that the closure would place additional strain on already struggling businesses.The reported pressure also extended beyond government workplaces. According to a message from Nahavand in Hamedan province, local officials summoned charitable organisations and asked them to contribute to the funeral, warning that their work could face disruption if they refused.Another account alleged that police and Basij members visited restaurants in an industrial town near Tehran and instructed owners to prepare thousands of free meals for mourners or risk having their businesses shut down.A Tehran resident also claimed that text messages were circulated urging households to host visitors travelling to the capital for the funeral ceremonies.Official announcements suggest Iranian authorities are mounting a large-scale logistical operation for the funeral. The Basij Organization for Guilds said 50 million loaves of bread were being prepared nationwide with the participation of bakers' unions, while 16 mobile bakeries would be deployed across Tehran and surrounding areas to prevent shortages.Funeral processions began in Tehran on Saturday and will continue through Qom, Najaf and Karbala before Khamenei's burial in Mashhad on July 9.Authorities have also announced heightened security measures, including temporary airspace restrictions over Tehran and Mashhad during the funeral ceremonies.Catch the latest world news and top headlines. Download the TOI App.
The article relies on reports from 'Iran International,' an outlet often critical of the Iranian government, and focuses on allegations of state coercion.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in