Child slams J&K education minister in video, sparks outcry
A 12-year-old boy's viral video criticizing the J&K education minister for not announcing summer vacations has sparked a controversy. The Child Welfare Committee has intervened, citing privacy concerns and unauthorized filming, while public opinion remains divided on free speech versus child protection.
Why it matters
The incident highlights the growing tension between digital-age freedom of expression for minors and the regulatory oversight of child welfare in the social media era.
SRINAGAR: A viral video of a 12-year-old child criticising J&K education minister Sakina Itoo took another turn Friday with Kashmir’s chief cleric Mirwaiz Umar Farooq terming the remarks “impolite” and the govt-run Child Welfare Committee (CWC) summoning the news portal that first uploaded the clip.CWC also ordered cops to take steps to get the clip removed and register an FIR. In the video, the child denounces Itoo for not announcing summer vacations in the Valley despite temperatures rising above 35 degrees Celsius. He is heard saying he “feels the minister may not have children who attend school and she herself might be sitting in an AC room”.Summer vacations in schools in the Valley are usually announced by authorities for around two weeks in July-Aug, with the exact dates depending on the weather.The video has generated heated social media debate. Many have defended the child’s views as free expression, praised his arguments and asked other children to emulate him, while others have criticised him for what they describe as a “troubling lapse in basic upbringing and social values”.Mirwaiz Farooq expressed unease. “Society must ask whether minor children should be exposed to social media in such a manner and used for public reactions without understanding the consequences,” Mirwaiz told a gathering in Jamia Mosque after Friday prayers.CWC’s notice said the child was “interviewed and recorded by representatives of the news portal without obtaining the informed consent of the parent/legal guardian and without the knowledge or permission of the concerned school authorities”.CWC has directed the journalists to appear before it even as the portal submitted a written statement. Separately, CWC issued a fresh advisory prohibiting interviewing, filming and dissemination of videos involving children in ways that may compromise their privacy, dignity, safety or overall well-being.“I took suo motu cognisance after I saw the viral video. At the time, I did not know the identity of the child, his parents or the school. The video had already gone viral,” CWC chairperson Khair-ul-Nisa said.Khair-ul-Nisa feared trouble for the child. “He may not even be able to return to school due to the attention the video has received. The journalists should have exercised greater discretion before uploading the video.” According to the CWC chief, she identified the child’s school from his uniform and directed its principal to appear Saturday for verification of facts.Get the latest India news and live updates. Download the TOI App.
The article presents both the child's perspective and the concerns of the Child Welfare Committee and religious leaders without taking a definitive stance.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in