Article may be outdated

This article is 51 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Times of India·2 min read·medium

Balogun joins Zidane, Ronaldinho in unwanted World Cup history after red card vs Bosnia

T
TOI SPORTS DESK
Balogun joins Zidane, Ronaldinho in unwanted World Cup history after red card vs Bosnia
AI Summary

US striker Folarin Balogun made unwanted history by becoming the fourth player to score a goal and receive a red card in a FIFA World Cup knockout match. The dismissal occurred during the USA's 2-0 victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina, ruling him out of the upcoming Round of 16 match against Belgium.

Why it matters

The incident highlights the high-stakes nature of VAR interventions in major international tournaments and significantly impacts the USA's tactical outlook for their next match.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

The United States booked their place in the FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 16 with a 2-0 victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina, but the night ended in heartbreak for striker Folarin Balogun, who created an unwanted piece of World Cup history.Balogun became just the fourth player ever to score a goal and receive a red card in a men's FIFA World Cup knockout match. The 24-year-old joined an exclusive list featuring Brazil legend Garrincha (1962 semi-final), Ronaldinho (2002 quarter-final), and France icon Zinedine Zidane, whose infamous dismissal came in the 2006 final.The unwanted World Cup list:Folarin Balogun - 2026 round of 32Zinedine Zidane - 2006 finalRonaldinho - 2002 quarter-finalGarrincha - 1962 semi-finalGoal, celebration and heartbreakBalogun had looked destined to be the hero after putting the United States ahead just before half-time. He had already seen one effort ruled out for offside before calmly finishing after Malik Tillman's pass deflected kindly into his path.The striker celebrated with his version of NBA legend LeBron James' iconic "Silencer" celebration, a moment that even drew a reaction from James on social media.However, the game turned dramatically in the 64th minute.Balogun challenged Bosnia defender Tarik Muharemovic for the ball and accidentally stepped on his ankle. Brazilian referee Raphael Claus initially allowed play to continue but upgraded the decision to a straight red card following a VAR review.USA furious over red cardThe dismissal means Balogun will automatically miss the Round of 16 clash against Belgium."It's so unfortunate honestly," captain Christian Pulisic said after the match. "It just seems so harsh for us to get that. He's done so much for us, and now we got his back. If he has to miss the next game, it's just ridiculous for something like that."Head coach Mauricio Pochettino also strongly disagreed with the decision."It never was intentional," Pochettino said. "It's never a red card. Never. If the intention is to damage the opponent, OK, I understand. But that never was. It was a normal action in football that you are fighting for the ball and your feet land."Despite the setback, the Americans held firm with 10 men before Tillman sealed the victory with a stunning late free-kick, ensuring the USA progressed while Balogun watched from the sidelines. The striker's suspension now leaves Mauricio Pochettino with a major selection dilemma ahead of Monday's Round of 16 showdown against Belgium.Get the latest Sports News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
sports
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 90%

The article reports on sports statistics and match events without political or ideological slant.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in