Badrinath-Kedarnath Temple Committee orders inquiry after claims of donation theft
The Badrinath-Kedarnath Temple Committee has launched an inquiry into allegations of donation misappropriation at the Badrinath Dham. The committee chairman has denied personal involvement and promised strict action against any staff found guilty.
Why it matters
This reflects growing public scrutiny over the financial transparency and management of major religious institutions in India.
NEW DELHI: Shri Badrinath-Kedarnath Temple Committee (BKTC) Chairman Hemant Dwivedi on Friday said that an inquiry committee has been constituted to conduct an impartial and fact-based investigation into the allegations circulating on social media about the alleged misappropriation of offerings and donations at Shri Badrinath Dham.Dwivedi said that allegations have been taken seriously and an inquiry has been ordered to establish the facts. He added that strict action would be taken against any staff member found guilty after the inquiry, in accordance with the rules. Explanations have also been sought from the employees concerned.The BKTC chairman also clarified that the employee being referred to on social media as his 'personal secretary' is not his personal secretary. According to Dwivedi, the individual is a regular government employee of the Shri Badrinath-Kedarnath Temple Committee and had earlier served as a personal assistant to three former BKTC chairmen, ANI reported. He added that if the allegations circulating on social media are found to be true during the investigation, stringent action will be taken against those responsible.The statement comes amid heightened scrutiny over the handling of temple donations following the alleged embezzlement of offerings at the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Temple in Ayodhya.The Uttar Pradesh Police are investigating the alleged financial irregularities after an FIR was registered on June 25. A local court has remanded the accused to judicial custody, while the Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been granted additional time to widen the scope of its probe and examine all aspects of the case.The controversy also prompted the resignation of Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust general secretary Champat Rai and trustee Anil Mishra, who stepped down taking moral responsibility for the incident. The Trust has said it is committed to ensuring a fair investigation and maintaining the faith of devotees.Get the latest India news and live updates. Download the TOI App.
The article reports on official statements and ongoing investigations without taking a side or using loaded language.
Get smarter about the news
Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.
Create free accountAlready have an account? Sign in