Article may be outdated

This article is 51 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

Times of India·3 min read·easy

60-year-old man dies after falling into uncovered manhole in Mumbai

R
RICHA PINTO
60-year-old man dies after falling into uncovered manhole in Mumbai
AI Summary

A 60-year-old man died in Mumbai after falling into an uncovered manhole during ongoing civic maintenance work. The incident has sparked political outrage and demands for accountability regarding safety protocols in the city.

Why it matters

The tragedy highlights critical issues regarding urban infrastructure safety and the enforcement of safety standards during public works projects in rapidly growing cities.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

MUMBAI: A 60-year-old man died after falling into an open manhole on Khairani Road in Sakinaka on Thursday afternoon while civic drain maintenance work was underway.The deceased, identified as Aslam Sheikh, allegedly stepped into an uncovered manhole.According to eyewitnesses, three contractual workers had removed the manhole cover to carry out drain maintenance.Sheikh, who was reportedly talking on his mobile phone, failed to notice the opening and fell into the stormwater drain.The workers immediately lowered a ladder into the manhole in an attempt to rescue him. However, they recovered only his umbrella and slippers.Due to the strong flow of rainwater inside the drain, officials said it was impossible to determine the direction in which he had been swept away, triggering a search operation by the Mumbai Fire Brigade.After an extensive search, firefighters located Sheikh's body downstream and retrieved it from the drain. Police have registered a case, and along with civic authorities, are investigating the circumstances that led to the fatal accident.The tragedy led to political outrage, with Shiv Sena (UBT) leader and Leader of the Opposition in the BMC, Kishori Pednekar, visiting the spot.She said it was shocking that such an incident could occur on a busy arterial road while civic works were in progress and questioned the absence of adequate safety measures around the open manhole.Mumbai deputy mayor Sanjay Ghadi and Shiv Sena leader Amey Ghole also visited the accident site. Ghole described the incident as "heartbreaking" and said an innocent citizen had lost his life due to negligence.He demanded strict legal action against the assistant commissioner of the L Ward, the contractor executing the work, and all officials responsible for the alleged lapse.The incident comes amid an ongoing wet spell in the city.You Can Also Check: Gold Rate in Mumbai | Silver Rate in Mumbai | Bank Holidays in Mumbai | Public Holidays in Mumbai | Mumbai AQI | Weather in Mumbai | Petrol Price in Mumbai | Diesel Price in Mumbai | CNG Price in Mumbai | LPG Price in MumbaiStay updated with the latest Mumbai news. Download the TOI App.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
worldsocial justice
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 90%

The report provides a factual account of the accident and includes statements from both the victim's family/supporters and political figures.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in