Article may be outdated

This article is 51 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

standardmedia.co.ke·3 min read·medium

55 more Kenyans return home from South Africa amid xenophobic attacks

M
Modachi Okumu
55 more Kenyans return home from South Africa amid xenophobic attacks
AI Summary

Fifty-five Kenyan nationals have returned home from South Africa following a surge in xenophobic violence and threats against foreign workers. Returnees cited an atmosphere of fear and economic hostility as the primary drivers for abandoning their livelihoods and property.

Why it matters

This migration trend underscores the ongoing socio-economic tensions in South Africa and the vulnerability of migrant populations to anti-foreigner sentiment.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

Malawian undocumented migrants sit in a shaded area outside the former Durban Drive in Durban, on July 1, 2026. [AFP] Some 55 Kenyans arrived at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Thursday evening after leaving South Africa following fears of xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals. The returnees, who had been living and working in different parts of South Africa, said escalating hostility and threats against migrants left them with little choice but to abandon their livelihoods and seek safety back home. Among them was Nelly Ochieng', who described his return to Kenya as emotional despite leaving behind his family, business and property. "Yes, I'm back home. I'm very happy to come back home," Ochieng' said moments after landing at JKIA. The middle-aged man who has lived in South Africa since 2010, said he initially worked as a seaman , travelling to Europe and the Caribbean before later establishing himself as an air-conditioning technician and businessman in Eastern Cape. He said the latest wave of anti-foreigner sentiment was more alarming than the violence he witnessed during the 2015 xenophobic attacks. "This time is worse than the other one, the 2015. This time is more than killing you," he said, describing an atmosphere of fear that prompted him to leave. According to Ochieng', frustrations among some South Africans stem from perceptions that foreigners take up jobs and business opportunities, compounded by concerns over undocumented migrants and corruption in immigration systems. "They say we are taking their jobs. The citizens say something is going wrong," he said. He recalled receiving warnings that foreigners would face attacks if they remained in the country. "We decided, no, we have to move because you cannot ignore such warnings," he said. Although grateful to have returned safely, Ochieng' said the decision came at a heavy personal cost. "I'm coming back home with nothing. My property is there. I left my vehicles there. I left my wife there, I left my kids there," he said. Stay informed. Subscribe to our newsletter

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
worldsocial justice
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 85%

The article provides a balanced account by quoting the experiences of the returnees while contextualizing the broader social tensions in South Africa.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in