Article may be outdated

This article is 53 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

NDTV·2 min read·medium

3-Year-Old Rescued From Collapsed Building 6 Days After Venezuela Quakes

R
Reuters
3-Year-Old Rescued From Collapsed Building 6 Days After Venezuela Quakes
AI Summary

A three-year-old child was rescued from the rubble of a collapsed building in Venezuela six days after twin earthquakes struck the region. International aid, including a large shipment of supplies from UNICEF, has arrived to support ongoing rescue and medical efforts.

Why it matters

The rescue provides a rare moment of hope amidst a major humanitarian disaster, highlighting the critical need for international aid in the aftermath of the 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude quakes.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

Jordanian emergency workers in Venezuela, which was hit by devastating twin earthquakes last week, rescued a child early on Tuesday, the only reported survivor on the sixth day of rescue efforts, according to Venezuelan authorities. Klieber Moran was pulled from the Los Corales Garden 1 building in La Guaira state by rescuers from Jordan after spending six days trapped under the rubble, Venezuela's acting President Delcy Rodriguez said in a message via Telegram. Venezuela was hit by two earthquakes of magnitudes 7.2 and 7.5 less than a minute apart last Wednesday, toppling buildings and trapping thousands of people beneath the rubble, according to authorities and rescue teams. Moran, described as 3 years old by Rodriguez - but as 2 years old by National Assembly President  Jorge Rodriguez - was subsequently taken for medical treatment, the message said. "We must hold onto the hope of continuing to find people alive beneath the rubble," Jorge said in a televised address. "Early this morning, a 2-year-old boy was rescued and is currently receiving care at a health center in Caracas."A shipment from UNICEF carrying 47 metric tons of humanitarian supplies arrived in Venezuela on Tuesday, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said, adding the equipment would help support children and families in need. The shipment includes emergency health kits for urgent medical care, including supplies for safe births, newborn care, disease prevention, and treatment, Dujarric added.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
worldhealth
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 90%

The article reports on a humanitarian event using factual, neutral language sourced from government officials and international organizations.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in