Article may be outdated

This article is 37 days old. Some details may have changed since publication.

NDTV·3 min read·medium

12-Year-Old Girl Bludgeoned To Death At Home. Sexual Assault Suspected

S
Saurabh Gupta
12-Year-Old Girl Bludgeoned To Death At Home. Sexual Assault Suspected
AI Summary

A 12-year-old girl was found murdered in Maharashtra, with police suspecting sexual assault. Authorities have arrested a local farm laborer and formed a Special Investigation Team to handle the case amid public protests.

Why it matters

The incident highlights ongoing concerns regarding child safety and gender-based violence in India, triggering significant local unrest and demands for judicial reform.

Dive DeeperCreate a free account to unlock

A 12-year-old girl was found dead in her home in a village in Maharashtra's Wardha district on Wednesday evening, police said on Thursday. Officers suspect she was sexually assaulted before being bludgeoned to death with a stone. The girl's partially unclothed body was discovered inside the house, police said. A stone recovered at the scene is believed to have been used to bludgeon her to death. Wardha Superintendent of Police Saurav Kumar Agrawal said that investigators suspect sexual assault took place before the murder. A medical examination is underway to establish the full circumstances.Police registered a case on the basis of a complaint from the girl's mother. The FIR names unidentified individuals and includes charges under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita for murder, rape, sexual violence and house trespass, along with relevant sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.Police initially detained three people for questioning. One of them, Rahul Raju Madavi, a 30-year-old farm labourer who worked on land next to the victim's house, has since been arrested in connection with the murder. Fourteen special police teams have been formed, and a Special Investigation Team (SIT) is now handling the case. Maharashtra Minister of State for Home (Rural) Pankaj Bhoyar described the killing as extremely condemnable. He said the police acted immediately to register the case and that efforts were continuing to ensure those responsible are held to account.After the post-mortem examination, when the body was being returned to the family, relatives and local residents protested outside the hospital. A large crowd followed the ambulance, creating a tense atmosphere.Residents also blocked a road for a period, demanding the death penalty for the accused and a fast-track trial. Police have maintained a presence in the village to prevent any further disturbance. No further arrests have been reported so far.

Continue reading on Headlinne

Create a free account to read the full article.

Read full article →
social justiceworld
Political Bias
Center
LeftLean LCenterLean RRight
Confidence: 90%

The report provides factual coverage of a criminal investigation and the resulting public reaction without editorializing.

Get smarter about the news

Sign up free for a feed built around what you actually care about, Dive Deeper research on any story, and the full text of every article.

Create free account

Already have an account? Sign in